Family-based Immigration – Petition for Spouse

The United States provides opportunities for families to live together in the United States. Family unity has been a long-standing policy of the United States government and the U.S. Immigration laws permit ways for certain categories of family members to live together in the United States. For example, a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (Green-card holder) can petition for a spouse for lawful permanent residency / green card to live permanently in the United States. Spouses of U.S. Citizens or green card holders can be physically inside the United States or physically outside the United States. Depending on where the spouse resides, the process is different. Consular processing is the process when a spouse is physically outside the United States and the spouse interviews at a U.S. Embassy outside the United States. Adjustment of Status is the process when a spouse is physically inside the United States and the spouse interviews at a USCIS local field office inside the United States.
There are also other categories for family-based immigration such as petition for parents, children, and siblings aside from spouses. Depending on several factors, these categories are either immediate relatives or family-preference categories. The timing of when an Immigrant visa or adjustment of status application can be submitted is dependent on several factors such as whether the category is an immediate relative or a family preference category. Immigration Attorney Susan Han can analyze each person’s situation since each situation is unique to each individual person. There are many aspects to the application for lawful permanent residency and eligibility requirements. Immigration Attorney Susan Han is experienced with the U.S. Immigration laws and you can contact her to discusses your situation, analyze your situation and eligibility requirements to prepare and submit the petitions and applications for lawful permanent residency. She enters her appearance as Attorney of Record so the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and USCIS can reach out to Immigration Attorney Susan Han directly about the case when she is the Attorney of Record after the case has been submitted. Immigration Attorney Susan Han provides legal advice throughout the entire process and also guides people through the Interview process. You can contact Immigration Attorney Susan Han at (410) 599-3100 or by email at


This blog and any information provided is for general informational purposes and is not legal advice to any particular person.