nonimmigrant visas There are many reasons that foreign nationals may wish to enter the country temporarily. You may want to enter as a tourist or to receive medical care. Or perhaps you want to work in the U.S. Nonimmigrant visas allow their holder to enter the U.S. for a specified amount of time for a specific purpose. Whatever the reason you wish to enter the U.S., there is likely a nonimmigrant visa option for you.

If you are in nonimmigrant status in the United States and would like to change your status from your current status to another status, there are certain procedures to do so and Susan Han can provide legal advice and analysis if you would like to change your nonimmigrant classification with USCIS.

Below are some of the many nonimmigrant visas. If you or someone close to you is interested in our nonimmigrant visa services in Maryland, reach out to Susan Han online today or call 410.599.3100 for more information

Nonimmigrant Visas

At the Law Office of Susan Han, our nonimmigrant visa services are among the most sought out of our attorney services. Ms. Han can provide legal advice regarding:

K-1 Fiancé(e) Visas

The K-1 visa allows you to bring your foreign fiancé or fiancee to the United States for marriage. To acquire a K-1 visa, you must:

  • Demonstrate intention to marry within 90 days of your partner entering the U.S. 
  • Demonstrate that your marriage is “valid” — that is, a genuine relationship, and not just to obtain this immigration status. 

Once you have married, your fiancé or fiancee must apply for lawful permanent resident status (a green card).

F-1 Student Visas

Students who wish to study in the U.S. must first obtain a visa. An F-1 visa is for students planning to attend:

  • University/college
  • High school
  • Private elementary schools
  • Seminary
  • Conservatory
  • Other kinds of academic (as opposed to vocational) institutions, including language-learning programs

J-1 Exchange Visitor Visas

J-1 visas are for individuals participating in exchange visitor programs. The categories of these programs include:

  • Au pair/EduCare
  • Camp counselor
  • Intern, Trainee
  • Summer work travel
  • Student (secondary)
  • Student (college/university)
  • Teacher
  • Short-term scholar
  • Professor/Research scholar
  • Government visitor, international visitor (Department of State)
  • Specialist
  • Physician

P-1 Visas

P-1 visas for international athletes and other entertainers who wish to enter the U.S., as well as for their coaching staff or support personnel. 

O-1 Visas

O-1 Visas are for individuals of extraordinary ability in the following categories:

  • The sciences
  • Athletics
  • Business
  • Education
  • The arts

O-1 visas are also available for individuals who have demonstrated extraordinary achievement in the television or motion picture industries.

R-1 Visas

R-1 visas are for individuals who are entering the U.S. to be employed as a minister or other type of religious worker.

H-1B Visas

The H-1B visa was designed for individuals who perform specialty occupations that require a high degree of education. Typically, an individual who qualifies for a H-1B visa must have a bachelor’s degree or higher. 

B-1/B-2 Visas

The “B visas” can serve multiple purposes, but generally speaking, the B-1 visa is specifically for short-term business trips, and the B-2 visa allows the holder entry for tourism purposes. 

E-1 Treaty Traders

An E-1 visa allows an individual from a country with which the U.S. maintains a treaty of commerce to enter the U.S. temporarily to engage in international trade on their own behalf.

E-2 Treaty Investors

An E-1 visa allows an individual from a country with which the U.S. maintains a treaty of commerce to enter the U.S. temporarily when they are investing a substantial amount in a U.S. business. 

L-1A Intracompany Transfer of Managers and Executives

An L-1A visa allows a U.S. employer to transfer an employee from one of their foreign offices to one of its U.S. offices. The employee must be a manager or executive. 

TN Visas

The TN classification is associated with the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). It allows qualified Mexican and Canadian nationals to engage in business activities in the U.S. on a temporary basis.

To Learn More About Nonimmigrant Visas, Contact Susan Han Today

If you or someone you know may qualify for one of the above nonimmigrant visas, contact immigration attorney Susan Han online today or call 410.599.3100.